MINUTES OF THE 255th MEETING 2011
Members present were GI’s – Lewis, Cook, Boyle, Morgan,
Roberts A, Thurston, Luker, Walker, Bladen, Richardson,
Luther, Potts, Nutt BEM, Walker Jr, Prout, Turner, Baker T
Apologies from GI’s – Sims, Dobson, Rennie, Swain, Bennett,
MacCallum, Rodda, Curnow, Archer, Pickup.
The 255th Meeting was held at the St Levans Inn
on Thursday 11th August 2011.
The President opened the Meeting at 2006 with our Loyal
Toast to Gunners, Missilemen and POAWW’s everywhere.
Sgt GI Matt Dillon Passed Away on Saturday 02 July. He
Qualified for GI in 1952 and was well known and respected by
those of his era. He was the Sergeant in charge of Y Turret
Our Sincere Condolences to his family.
The 254th Minutes were Proposed by GI Walker and
Seconded by GI Potts.
The cash statement was read out.
Nothing to report
Social Secretary’s Report:
Gentlemen......last night’s Meeting, which considering it is
August was well attended so thanks to those who made the
effort. One day, before I finish, we will get a 90% turn
out I am sure - don't think we will ever get 100% though.
Even Ty Baker managed to get there after his Mrs gave him a
leave pass - we all know who wears the trousers in that
Right.....I harped on about the Socials coming up with the
first one being on Saturday 18th November - The Gentleman's
Night over at HMS Raleigh. No more to tell you about this
one but after leave we will get stuck into it but the date
is set... My list is open and, as I pointed out to those at
Meeting, by all means tell the President/Chancellor if you
intend coming but make sure I also know.
The Ladies Night next year in Drake - nothing is booked as
of yet. I am still waiting for a reply from the new Mess
President to ensure that he has no objections to us
continuing to use his Mess. I am also talking to Annette
and have asked for dates available in March/April but must
avoid a clash with the tarts game of Rugby!!
In AOB I addressed the Meeting with my Soc Secretary’s head
on.....I pointed out that the President had just given us a
good brief on the Charities and the Chancellor given a
perfect Financial Report. I said that as Soc Sec I am
really the only one who spends your money and this year I
must make the Serials better than last year or we are
standing still. At the same time, I must keep ticket prices
down to encourage attendance - my No1 priority, but to do
this I will NOT break the bank. We are not a big
Association- nor are we rich. At the same time we are not
skint either. I put a couple of suggestions to the floor to
build up our funds, these were discussed by the floor and a
solution was found for which I am most grateful for that. I
am sure that Sam will inform you about this in the Minutes
(NO - your Subs are not going up.....Not yet anyway). Over
the years you have all done your bit to support our
Charities but it’s also time to look after ourselves as well
as our Charities. Steve as done a superb job on the Charity
front and WILL continue to do so with my full support. We
have not abandoned our Charities.
I now have my Terry Boyle hat on for a few minutes. I am a
great believer in helping people in need if we can afford it
particularly where kids are involved and the terminally ill
male or female. We still have a number of projects in the
pipeline and Steve is well on top of these - we will
After all this I shut up....Case closed.
Nothing to report.
GI’s Baker, Luther and Prout. A warm Welcome also to the
Apologies Rx’d from:
GI’s: MacCallum, Swain, Sim and Rennie
GI Sean ‘George’ Hawksby
GI’s Dobson 24th July, Jones (S) 27th,
Bradbury (D) 30th and Tonge 10th
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL
Beckly Children’s Centre
– The TV and Bracket have been purchased and we are
currently waiting for them to be collected. Beckley is
having some work done over the next couple of weeks and
Sarah is going to ask the builders to mount the TV for her.
After that she would like some Members of the Association to
pop over for a few phots and maybe an article for the local
Many Thanks to AJ Electronics who supplied the TV and also
did us a deal on the wall mount bracket.
A wheel chair is to be purchased as requested which
aid those visiting level 2 to get to level 8. Bearing in
mind that we now have several Members using this facility,
it is only right that we assist in any way we can.
The Prez has been reliably informed that a number of Laptops
are being supplied to level 2 Oncology for day care
patients. Investigations are currently taking place to
identify the cost of providing internet via dongles as a
regular thing. Watch this space.
Two Type 22’s are on the sea wall at present. One is
looking very sorry for itself and one has obviously has not
had much work done to it. If anyone hears when they are due
to leave, please contact the Prez or Sec.
Our new website is up and running
Ray Lester is administering it at this time and it is hoped
that the Committee will be able to input themselves without
relying on Ray all of the time. We also have our attached
I will email the Sec with the details. Ray wants to know
what you want on the site.
There was a minor fault on the site with the joining button
but Ray has now fixed this (Thanks Ray).
- don’t forget to keep tabs on the Portsmouth Website.
Emails Rx’d from around the Globe:
Peter Harrison PWO 1A Course 72-73
PWO(A) Devonshire 73-74
AWWO (A1) 74-75
SWO (A) 7th Frigate Squadron on Scylla then
Ops Officer Coventry 1st Commission
Commanding Officer Nottingham (Left due illness)
From Commander Jim Donaldson (Last C.O.
Thanks for getting in touch. I hope you are well. Somehow
your email ended up in my spam box - fortunately, I
recognised your name before hitting the delete button!
I moved jobs over a year ago and am now the Marine Director
for Serco Marine Services responsible for all the tugs and
various other vessels in the naval bases in Portsmouth,
Devonport and Scotland. All familiar stuff and brings me
back to the waterfront.
Look forward to receiving the minutes and social serial
Raffle Prize donators:
GI’s Patton (D), Nutt BEM, Smith K, Morgan, Cook, McCallum
(D denotes Defaulter – Get your ‘at!!!).
GI’s Paton (D), Smith K (D), McKie (D), Potts, Boyle,
Thurston, Walker, Dobson, & Turner.
Those who have volunteered but who are subsequently unable
to attend are invited to place their prizes behind the bar
with Paul especially as the more we make the more that goes
to the Ladies Night’s.
GI’s Roberts A, Luker, Walker Jr, Morgan, Our Landlord Paul
& Prout. This month’s raffle raised £95, many thanks to all
for your generosity.
My new found interest of “Zipcat” powerboat racing has its
final meeting of the year at Newquay on 31st
September/1st October. Anyone interested please
GI Henry Cooper has landed himself a job with my ex-cruise
liner company. He is at present in Seattle doing his ISSC
and then goes on to Rotterdam to finish his inductions for
Environmental Officer, finally joining his liner in Bermuda.
Thursday attended the funeral of a good friend of mine who
did 28 years as a Sea Cadet instructor. His two sons wished
to give a proper naval funeral but couldn’t find anyone to
do the “Last Post”. They approached the Volunteer Band at
RNAS Yeovilton who came up trumps. The Bugler carried out
his duties with utmost professionalism and with no charge to
the family of the deceased.
Informed the Members present that the reason that GI Curnow
is absent this evening is down to the fact that he has be
admitted to Derriford Hospital for a long awaited hip
Was asking the Members present if anyone of them knew the
whereabouts of a Lt “Jim” Greaves who was on the Antelope?
Anyone out there able to help - please get in touch.
Quite rightly put forward that over the years our
Association has provided healthily towards local charities.
However, due to the requirement of our Social Secretary
wishing to provide us with the best “Ladies Nights” anyone
has ever attended, he wishes to propose that we again
suspend our yearly donation so as to supply funds the said
It was quite rightly noted by GI Bladen that we already cap
our charity provision to £1,000. Our President stepped in
and asked someone to put it in the “Proposals Book” to
reduce the charity provision to £500 a year and see how we
go. This was proposed by GI Potts and seconded by GI
Luther. This was put to the vote and passed unanimously.
It was finally agreed that the President will review this
The Meeting closed at 2055
Meeting will be held on Thursday 08th September 2011
at the St Levans Inn
That’s All Folks. Subs are now due. Please pay GI Cook
Still only £10
per annum plus a £5 joining fee.
Full Members get a £5 discount for the Ladies Night Dinner
and the Branch Dinner so why not pay up now and feel better
for paying less at these prestigious Serials.
Any Dits, nostalgic pictures or queries contact me on:
or through the website
07411 434224. My home number and
address are in the Debrett.
See you at the Meeting.
advise of any spelling mistakes so that they can be
corrected and we maintain a professional set of Minutes on
our WorldWide Website